Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Acacia Pharmacy

I got to Iringa March 5th and have had good luck meeting people and preparing for several projects. Tomorrow I will go to the village of Image to inspect a well location that I brought a submersible pump to install. We are contracting the help of a very good water engineer here in Iringa. Image also has a secondary school with computers from Global Outreach and I am bringing digital resources for science too.

Our partnership has been supporting the dispensary in Kising'a by bringing medical supplies. LCP sent money with me to do this again. Today, Dr Saga, who stayed at our house in October with his wife Dora, took me to Acacia Pharmacy to purchase a standard list of pharmaceuticals and medical supplies that he prepared for dispensaries. This is the rainy season which means more malaria. The supply list has about 54 different items and we purchased a year's supply of medications for a dispensary serving more than 5000 people for 1.3 million shillings ($900).

I will be going to a second well site on Saturday in Ipalamwa and Kising'a is on the way so I will be able to deliver the supplies and hopefully stay over in Kising'a if public transportation to return is available. It has been amazing how plans have fallen into place so I hope the good luck continues for my 4 weeks here.

This is what 1.4 million shillings looks like. You do not put it in your wallet. The 10,000 shilling note is Tanzania's largest denomination worth about $7.50.


Dr Saga and the Acacia Manager who was preparing the 5 page hand written invoice.



Three people were assembling the pharmaceuticals and packing them into boxes. The woman was embarrassed to be in the picture but I can see that she is smiling so I think it was ok.



Acacia Pharmacy is named after a famous type of African tree with 1 inch thorns that put buckthorn to shame. It is a very nice store where you can get anything you would want from a pharmacy.



We went to Agape Stationery to photo copy the invoice pages with copies for the dispensary, the diocese, and the government district medical officer since Kising'a is a government dispensary. Power was out this afternoon as it has been every two or three days because of rationing hydroelectric power with low water levels. No problem for Agape, they pull out a generator out front and keep the copier humming. Notice the warm African greeting between Dr Saga and his pastor from Ilula who just happened to come by.




The boxes delivered to Iringa Lutheran Centre where I am staying. Fortunately, I was just upgraded to the honeymoon suite so I have plenty of space. It is good that I should be in Kising'a Saturday night because the suite is needed for more fitting guests.